Friday, December 28, 2007

I'll Be Home for Christmas...

...If only in my dreams...
And my dreams were full last week: of you all back in the states. My first Christmas at home approached quickly and I was admittedly dreading the day. I could hardly imagine how the most beautiful day of the year could be filled with joy without those I loved near to me. But my Abba takes care of me always - He gave me a great peace in my heart. I spent the day surrounded by people who love me and were even willing to appease all my Christmas wishes for my happiness. They are too good to me ;o)
I had the pleasure of playing Santa Claus and hosting the singletons for Christmas morning. We had delectable cinnamon rolls & quiche (I am my mother's daughter) and stuffed each others stockings with goodies. Highlights included William's re-gifts and Jessi's "I-Love-You" Rats (its the year of the rat after all, who doesn't need a pink stuffed rat?)

My American family heard our desperate cries for culture, and because of their attention I spent the afternoon introducing Brian and Angelyn to the great Christmas Classic Musical, Meet Me in St. Louis. Highlights included mocking Judy Garland's love interest and learning the lyrics to "I was drunk last night, dear Mother"

Then I hit the crazy streets for a last minute desperate attempt to secure the tackiest Christmas sweater China had to offer. You would think this would have been a simple task...but you try fighting off 200 90 lbs girls who all want thing you do (though they are searching for a fashion statement and you for a hideous prize) and are skilled at the art of Tai Ji...so my search was unfruitful. Sad to say I disgraced the Tacky Christmas Sweater Party I so desired. Luckily Brian's
sweet Pharaoh-chest-hair-stripe-fest more than made up for my downfall.

That evening we held the first annual Tacky Christmas Sweater-themed Shiyan Progressive Dinner. It began with egg-nog & rotell (White Trash Christmas), followed by soup (Christmas a la John "my dad was born in a Mexican prison" Calvillo), moved to Min's amazing feast (Chinese Christmas) and finished with Christmas in a pan (Sugar Coma Christmas) We worked off the calories by walking from place to place and serenading the masses with Christmas Carols the hour we spent stuck on the bus. Sadly, despite our best efforts to pace our selves and eat through the pain, I felt fairly conquered.


Thanks to my kid brother, I got to see the faces of my wonderfully crazy family on SKYPE - the greatest Christmas present of all. Its seems they were able to celebrate Christmas despite my absence, and I am glad that our Father gave them that strength. ;o) My Christmas was complete because of them. They are with me always, I carry them in my heart. I carry all of you - Thank you for all your Christmas wishes and for always lifting me up to our wonderful Abba above. I hope you all had the Happiest Christmas!


GWG ~ Jessica

Here is my Christmas Album: Been An Awful Good Girl, Santa Baby...

No comments: