Tuesday, February 24, 2009

God's Sense of Humor

As my fiance would say, "He's a jokester"
I know I am far behind on blogging, and there are a million things I would like to catch you up on...my European vacation, the new semester in China, my mother's visit to Shiyan...but all of those things of the "past" kind of fade into the back ground when you are looking at the rest of your life.

Last weekend, Trent asked me to marry him and, of course, I said YES!

STORY
My mother came to visit last week and unknown to me, she brought with her a gorgeous ring that he had picked out for me. (I know everyone says their ring is beautiful and we all think...uh huh...but mine really is...). She and my cousin visited for a week, and at the end of the week I took her for a few days in Xi'an, an ancient city in another province that is one of our favorites. Trent had told me he couldn't come because he had to teach a class on Saturday morning.
We spent two days there, and the last night we were going to this big musical light show that happens every night in front of a pagoda outside of town. There is this enormous square fountain with multicolored lights and water that comes out in patterns to the music playing - I had never been and from what I saw of it, it was really beautiful. We went there, and my mother eventually manipulated me into standing in the middle for a photo. ...and there he was. I was shocked, but managed to hear his incredible words, watch him go down on his knee, and squeak out a yes!
He turned me around, and all of our friends from Shiyan were there - cheering and preparing the champagne...they had all made the long trip from Shiyan to celebrate with us, which was so special to me. To have my mother there, my China family, and the man I love asking me to spend my life with him - it was perfect.
So inevitably, you will all want more details...of which I have none. Eventually I might have some photos of the night from Angelyn (I was understandably preoccupied) I have no news on weddings, life plans, or even location for living - our lives are very up in the air right now! But I can tell you that God has a sense of humor. To take two people, who knew each other in every other way than romantically for years, place them in countless situations together and keep them blind, and send them to the opposite ends of the earth, only to bring them back together in the most unlikely of places...to see something different in each other, fall in love, and choose to stay that way...He's pretty clever. We are very happy, and trust it because you can see His hand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! God does have a sense of humor, but he also has a plan. I love you guys!

Andrew Hill said...

Congratulations!!! Trent is a blessed man and you are a blessed woman!

Anonymous said...

Trent is such a cute guy, how could you turn him down. blessed marriage!