Friday, January 25, 2008

There's Nothing Here Now That I'll Miss, Why Send Me Now A Night Like This?

When I last wrote you, I was in Ho Chi Minh City - attempting to prepare myself mentally for the craziness that appeared to be Saigon. Sorry it took me so long to write again, but you will tell I have been busy. Hopefully my mother will forgive me my forgetfulness...

Veitnam - D5
After a stay in a fairly seedy hotel, I woke up early to check out of there and hit the city! I spent the morning having breakfast with an American couple who were biking through the Mekong Delta region. They were SO refreshing after the constant throng of Europeans, just so much more down to earth. And they were even Northwesterners! So on that high, I moved onto the next which was morning mass at the Notre Dame Cathedral. AMAZING. Filled with faithful from all walks, it was incredible to be in a place where He was openly exalted. My first in months and I had no idea how I missed it. The whole morning was so beautiful, I couldn't leave! I stayed in the pew until they kicked me out (which I still think there should be some kind of rule against, what happened to sanctuary?)
The afternoon was an extreme test of my mind and stomach. I visit the Reunification Palace and the War Remnent Museum - both tributes to Vietnam and the American Invasion(as they called it). It was really eye opening for me to see the war from the "other side". Granted, the propoganda was blatant and should have been taken as so, but the facts of that time remain the same. And the lasting effects, Agent Orange and others, are visible in the people here. It is hard to put into words how I felt, being somewhere where my people are looked at as enemies, and seeing how the rest of the world viewed us at that time. It really made me question how we will remember the Iraq War, and the last few years of American history. What will we say, and what will they say? It also amazed me, how warm the Veitnamese were too me, and how they have forgiven what they lived through. I am still wondering how to put into words that experience.
We spent the night laughing away with some soccer players we met in Backpackers Alley - a "confident" Kenyan and a delightful Jamacian/American who tested our football knowledge, as well as our gender differences ;o)

Veitnam - D6
The Day of Frenchie. Graham had heard about some work that was happening in the city, so through various connections we were picked up from our hotel Monday morning by Frenchie, the code name for the French Laotian who is leading the work there. After a thrilling motop ride through the city (you haven't lived til you have straddled a Saigonese stranger in a skirt) we arrived in the outskirts of town to his home, where Jessica & I got to coo over his baby, and we all heard about the movement in Vietnam. Frenchie spoiled us with stories and lunch, he was hilarious if you want the truth. Then we spent the afternoon in the hotel they rent out to teach the country kids English and then where they come together to worship. I can't share much with you - just that they have a huge ministry with the poor children of the city, many who have come to know the Father and have gone on to a better life because of it. They have to work under even more "delicate" conditions than many others and have thrived - please keep them in your thoughts.

Vietnam - D7
Jessica & I booked a 2 day-overnight boat tour through the Mekong Delta as our route to Cambodia. It ended up being an excellent decision, despite the significant dent in our pocket books. Our "family" was led by Thai, the fearless Veitnamese Island Boy, and we spent the morning touring various island communities in the Mekong Delta. We took little boats powered by the intense muscles of a young woman who only hit Jessica in the head twice with her oars! And yes...there were triangle hats...I would say the highlight was coconut island, where we could sample various coconutty goodies to our hearts content. The horrific occurance that met us on this trip though, was a shot of Snake Liquor. Lets just say, we drank from a jar consisting of 50% proof alcohol, dead cobras, and a fully-feathered crow. Not my, or my stomachs, finest moment...but when in Veitnam!
The night was spent on this amazing boat with the most incredible beds - I have never slept so well. But it was great - we saw the sunset, had political conversatoins with Kenyo & Monique (the people who brought the Dutch back to me!) and learned to play Yatzhee German style (Hershoc!)

Veitnam/Cambodia - D8
Father Thai soon lost his magical luster when he woke us up at 5:00 am to see the sunrise in Chau Doc harbor...but it was a beautiful sight. The rest of the day was uneventful, Thai said "bye bye you" and we went from boat to boat - border to border - and suddenly we were in Cambodia! The naked island children were a sure indication. We glided up the river, soaking up the sun and the new scenery. But all good things must come to an end. The rest of the day was a virtual disater! Phenm Penh Synopsis: cramped/smelly bus ride - overpriced/mosquito infested guesthouse - accosting by cracked-out old Dutch poet. I will spare you and my memory the details. Needless to say we were on the first bus to the beach and Mama T in the morning!

Cambodia - D9
Hitching the early bus out of town, Jessica and I were headed to Sihanoukville, Cambodia's only beach resort. After missing the white sands and crystal ocean in Veitnam, it was time for us to be beach bunnies for a few days. Sarah (our fourth) was already here, so she convinced us to add it to the iteneray. We definitely made the right decision! We are on the most beautiful beach! This town is fairly laid back, not much night life, just people relaxing their way through the days. (Granted, their relaxation is highly due to the "happy" cuisine most are partaking in, but there are a few who are coherant for the stay) We have Bungalows not 3 minutes off the sand and as soon as we could drop our bags, we were there! Pleasant surprise - we had been on the beach for maybe a minute when I ran into Dan, a fellow Shiyan teacher who found his intended visit to Veitnam lacking and made his way to the beach. Small worlds get smaller! So it was wonderful catching up this him, it made us both think about the highs and lows of Shiyan life (Highs - the Chinese, Lows - no beach access). That night the four of us spent the night on the beach in papsan chairs, happily taking in the night breeze, crazy westerners making fools of themselves, and the cheap cuisine. Loving it...

Cambodia - D10
Which brings us to today. Not much can be said - morning, noon, and night on the beach. Lobster-like sunburns, wave surfing, beach volleyball, banana boat rides, tongue twisting pineapples, ice coffee and the constant presence of children trying to sell everything from bracelets to leg shavings. They keep walking up to me and telling me I have hairy legs! Not the quickest way to earn business kid! We keep telling them we don't buy from kids who don't go to school, hoping the lack of business will encourage their parents to pull them from the sand and give them more of an opportunity at something greater. I have been fairly put off by their sales methodologies as well, guilt and constant annoyance do not work well with westerners!
Tonight holds various beach parties, promising everything from glow-in-the dark disco to free t-shirts. The night life here is pretty dead, but we are interested to see what a Friday night can hold. We are really just itching to hit the dance floor! But early to bed for us, cause we have a 7:00 am date with some snorkeling gear!

Will try to keep writing, just know that I am safe (always careful!) and loving every minute for this whirlwind experience! Please keep a boy named Jeremy in your thoughts - he is a fellow teacher who was trampled by an elephant in Southern China over the festival. He is in critical condition, and keeps moving in and out of danger. May the great Father show is wonders!

No comments: