Friday, May 30, 2008

Angelyn's Revelation...from God

These past few weeks I have been finding a particular amount of brilliance in my friends. William even became a vegetarian...piscetarian...flexitarian. Angelyn was struck with a particularly impressive lightening bolt that I just have to share...

Brian, Jessica and I have been studying Isaiah, and, as often happens during our studies, I went way off topic when a sudden realization struck me: the Bible settles the argument for which is more painful, childbirth for women or being hit in the groin for men. This argument is as old as time itself, and I imagine even Adam and Eve engaged in a few heated debates regarding this topic on more than one occasion. Anyway, it’s not necessary to set my point up so I’ll get right to it. The passage we were reading was Isaiah 13:8 – “Their hearts will be full of fear; pains and sorrows will overcome them; they will be in pain like a woman in childbirth; they will be shocked at one another; their faces will be like flames.” It struck me that several times in the Scriptures, we find terrible pain associated with childbirth. In fact, I did a quick concordance search and found at least fifteen references to the pains of childbirth, most prophetically referring to some serious pain about to befall one nation. Another example for the sake of a loaded argument: Jeremiah 6:24 - "The news of it has come to our ears; our hands have become feeble: trouble has come on us and pain, like the pain of a woman in childbirth." So this is the crux of the argument, if being hit in the groin is more painful than childbirth, wouldn’t these serious prophecies of pain be equated to the pain of being hit in the groin? It’s a simple question, but I feel it makes a strong point. As a matter of fact, the prophecies were more than likely aimed at the male gender since they were the ones responsible for leading the nations back in the day. All the more reason being hit in the groin would be better to use than the pain of childbirth - it would be something the men could actually relate to. That is, unless, the pain of childbirth is so much more painful than being hit in the groin. While it’s true I will never understand the pain of being hit in the groin (as men experience it), I feel that the Scriptures make it rather clear that the pain of childbirth trumps the pain of being hit in the groin. That’s all.

No comments: