Sunday, June 1, 2008

This One's For The Girls

For those of you with your eyes tied to the calendar, I am leaving China in 21 days for a summer in the states. This year flew, but I'll reflect on that later. With the end of the year, of course I am spending a lot of time in introspection - successes, failures, growth, digression, etc. The more I think back on this year, the more I am struck with how I was shaped by the incredible women He gave Shiyan, both Chinese and Waiguoren. To say that these women, these powerful daughters of light, have changed me is the gravest understatement. I wish you could know them all as I do, my words are ridiculously inadequate. So this one's for the girls...

Every Saturday the six foreign women get together for Girl's Brunch. I look forward to this time all week, one hour turns into 3 or 4, and it passes too quickly. This week was my last one, and I'm sorry to say I didn't realize it at the time. Had I stopped to think about it, I would have treasured every word. I would have laughed a little harder at all the clever things you said and pondered more deeply the troubles of your hearts...even if they went unsaid. I would have had my hair washed with you, just so we could be together for a little longer!

I should have insisted that you had been there Darla, and told you about how much we miss your selfless spirit when you are gone. Priscilla, I should have put my book down and talked with you while we had our nails done. I wish I had talked less and listened more as Angelyn and I walked to breakfast. I wish I had thought to ask Jaime to share some pearls of wisdom on patience and gentleness, she obtains the spirit that I long for. I should have taken a photo of 50's Megan cause she looked so darn gorgeous, and then talked with her about all the ways we are going to make next year better. I should have taken pictures of the six of us together, so that I could carry it in my photo album and not only my heart. So I could take the picture out and say: These, these are the women who got me through this year. Who challenged me to be vulnerable and loving, and who listened to me ramble nonsensical ideas for hours on end. These are the women I want to be like, and you would be so lucky to know them.

Jaime, Darla and Priscilla - I am going to miss you so much! I'm horrible with goodbyes, so please excuse me if my "tough exterior" takes over. I love you women, you are amazing and 10 others couldn't replace a one of you. You are going to be such powerful witnesses wherever you go, but Shiyan is going to be so quiet without you. (Especially you, Priscilla!)
Angelyn and Megan - If you had tried to leave me, I would have tied you to your apartments and paid CPC guards to keep you from budging. ;o) Next year is going to be another adventure and I can't wait to see the ways you continue to grow and change, hear more of your stories and revelations, and be surprised by the ways you challenge me to be better than I settle for. 我爱你们!

There are six foreign women here, but they fill only half of my heart. Oh, if you could only know the Chinese girls I know. Zoe, Halley, Dacy, Alice, Orange, Sarah, Jasmine, Willie...the list could stretch out for quite a while. I have gotten to watch them continue to grow into stronge and unique "women". (don't tell them I called them that!) Thank the Father that language barriers are no match for His will when He wants to bring certain hearts together. I have seen His Son in each of them. I wish so many great things for them: courage to be bold about their faith, love for themselves, love from the godly men they all seek, and understanding of all their Father has offered them in Him. These next two months are going to be so sad and lonely without their sweet smiles, their individual catchphrases ("HI", "thank you for saying that", "Ni shi fungla!"), and their HUGS. I can't imagine if I were leaving them for good. I'm so thankful that the Father allowed them to love me better than I could have.

No comments: