Friday, June 6, 2008

Top Ten China Moments...continued

6. Hospital Exposure
So…there is nothing like getting on a plane and moving by yourself to a foreign country all by yourself…and then having to take your shirt off in front of a bunch of strangers! When a foreign teacher moves to China, they have to undergo a medical examination at a provincial hospital, to ensure the school is making a “good investment”. Let me just tell you…Chinese hospitals are a treat. So here I am in a hospital with my FAO assistant Helen, watching people
scrambling in line to get their blood drawn through a window, and suddenly I am being told that I have to follow these three foreign girls (Brittany, Jessi and Sarah – my first memory of you!) into a room, and take my top off in front of them, as well as some Chinese doctors. While there are about 20 Chinese guys on the other side of this partition. Oh, and after that you have to pee in a cup over a squatty potty (your first) with some other foreigners (Priscilla - wink wink) When in china…

7. in the Square
Every city in China has something called People’s Square – a big courtyard in the center of town that is populated by people from morning tai chi classes, to afternoon bazaars, to late night dancing. It’s really the city hub, and basically 2,000 people sit around People’s Square all day to see if any of the other 1,999 people are going to do anything interesting. in our particular Square, we have a fountain that shoots up from the ground at 8:00 pm every night. People will stand around and gawk at it, while children run through it in the summer, trying not to get wet. But where is the fun in that? That’s exactly what Angelyn and I said…So one October night found Angelyn and I parading ourselves through the fountain at an excruciatingly slow speed, taking a few turns around just for good measure. (To the fantastic chagrin of the Chinese – waiguoren fung le!) Soggy and Proud, we then traipsed into UBC Coffee to slosh on their couches and eat frozen ice cream. I knew I would love her forever for doing something just that ridiculous and pointless with me. Another memory I treasure in the square was when the Wuhan crew rolled into town, and we joined in the square dance party…with all the other 60 year olds in the city! They taught us some cool Chinese step, (and those ladies can step!) then carole and I amazed them with our fantastic electric slide abilities! We might not be able to talk together, but the language of dance is a powerful tool! Think I might need to do that again in a few weeks…Carole?

8. Midnight Track Walks
Sometimes you just got to move…and let me tell you the masses will come out to watch a foreigner exercise. So we often hop the track fence late at night and take a few laps around – whether for exercise purposes, or just to enjoy the cool calm that is Shiyan at nighttime. There are always a few scandalous couples laying out in the field, or the rare avid jogger, but usually you can feel very alone there. Especially if it is below freezing outside! One of my favorite track walks happened late one November night. Angelyn, Brian, William, Priscilla and I (was there another person? I am so forgetful!) felt the itch, and had to get out. It was midnight, freezing, and beautiful. Bundled up, we took a few turns around, and then went and sprawled out in the middle of the field. I can’t remember what we talked about now…but I remember the cold ground permeating my jacket, watching our breath swirl up to the sky, the countless stars, and the laughter of friends. And I distinctly remember lying there thinking about how much I loved those people, how my father had kept his promise to me, and how I couldn’t remember the last time I had felt so at peace.

9. The Finer Things Club
Office fans will appreciate this one:” The finer things club is the most exclusive club at qi yuan, so naturally that’s where I need to be” . Not much to explain this one (club policy), But let’s just say I’m glad to have a friend who appreciates the finer things in life, like white wine, baked brie, and poetry.

10. Brian and Angelyn
When compiling my top ten moments in china list, I elicited the opinion of Brian, who immediately said, “The moment you met me, and every moment after that we spent together”. And he was right! We argued about the first time we met (in the hall/on the stairs/in my living room), but I remember he came with a pitcher of water and toilet paper. I remember Angelyn came with a bunch of bananas. Most of my china moments stemmed from the introductions of these two people, who have been my family over the last year. Whether we were stalking a miserably lonely cat, sitting silently in chengdu starbucks (book in one hand, coffee mug in the other), screaming at each other in a particularly feisty game of taboo, sitting on a mountain top on Children’s day, waxing philosophical or just quoting the office – all are favorites. 我爱你们我的家!


*Disclaimer: There were so many moments to choose from, they could just not all be named. Lest you notice a cherished moments absence, take these runner-up’s to heart. My mind can hold so much more than my blog! Runner’s Up: Revenge of the Ice Nerds, Christmas English Talk Radio, Xian Tuk Tuk, Russian Hat Dancing, 1st Culture Shock, Christmas Caroling on the bus, Resurrection Eggs, Tom’s World, Massages with Reike and Helen, Soho and, of course, Sparky at Thanksgiving…wanting to eat his own hand.

Also, due to compilation rules…all southeast Asia moments were disqualified due to geographical discrepancies – may I just say for the record here – PANCAKE!

No comments: