Monday, June 2, 2008

Top Ten China Moments

As I am looking at the last few weeks of this year, I have so many memories that I want to share with you. The day to day makes this place great, but the exceptional moments make it so much more. I wanted to share with you a Blog of my Top Ten Moments in China. There are so many, 10 was settling, I assure you. So Here is part One of my Top Ten China Moments.

1. Karaoke Girl
There is a photo forever burned in my brain, of a fantastic moment captured in time that I will forever share with Angelyn and William. The perfect end to a fantastic thanksgiving is of course, KTV. The perfect end to a KTV adventure full of Edelweiss and Pretty Women, it turns out, is spotlighting a rather annoying little girl take a rather magnificent tumble. It’s only funny until someone gets hurt, then its hilarious…William, Angelyn, only you can appreciate my number one moment!


2. Brian, the Manly Man
The story has been blogged, but how can I not reiterate here how Brian, the Manly Man, came to my rescue against the imaginary psychopath invading my home. His catlike reflexes and quick response time, and choice of weapon, will be missed…who will protect me next year? No one else would ever jump off a fourth floor balcony for me. Anytime I hear someone banging on my door, or see a folding chair, I will think of that night and Brian Neal with the greatest fondness.


3. Zoe’s R-v-l-t—n
Not actually being present for this moment is of no consequence to me…the telling of the story itself brought me such great joy that the moment makes my top ten! In short, one of our very wise sisters discovered that you can read a lot of things in the international English news that you just can’t find on a Chinese search engine. When she posted this fact on a Facebook note, and then postulated that perhaps people were keeping things from her (and someone should check this out), she found her post to have mysteriously disappeared the next day. Outraged, she declared (at a whisper) that there needed to be a r-v-l-t—n. She was told, you know, r-v-l-t--n's have to start with the people. When asked if she was ready…YES.

4. Suzy’s Naked B-pt-sm
one of our seekers, suzy, took a very important dip a few weeks ago. Here in China, We refer to that as “swimming”. (Just want to keep you up with the lingo) I took two of our other seekers, Michael Scofield and Kevin to watch, I thought it would be a great opportunity to talk about what it all means. Anyway, we are in the cab on the way over, and I notice they are talking rather animatedly in Chinese…when pressed to tell me what they were saying, Michael Scofield leans in really close and asks me…”Is she going to be naked?” I of course, burst out laughing, and assured
her that she would be fully clothed, to which he replied…”I’m a little disappointed”.
When we got to the event, we went into the bathroom to secure our seats (that sounds a little odd to me too). At this point they started to get a little worried…”Are you sure she is not going to be naked?” But as soon as we began, you could see the wonder start to come into their eyes and all thoughts of nudity went out the window. We have a very small “tub” where we hold the swimmings, one that requires the swimmer to get into the fetal position in order to be covered. I was explaining this to them, when Kevin said, “Like in a mother’s womb…she will come out like a baby…with her new body and new life”. And he smiled with such understanding. Wow, YES!

5. Yichang New Years
The Yichang crew is well known for their amazing ideas: The Great Wall Swing out, Carnival, Camping trips on
balconies…their daily life causes immense jealousy among other foreigners, so anytime we can take part we jump on that immediately. Tradition now dictates that foreigners from the far reaches of Hubei travel to Yichang for the fantastic Apple Chopstick ball drop! The apple drop of 2008 transcended all previous in greatness, But things didn’t stop there; in fact, they started with a pretty incredible video/picture scavenger hunt! That time spent with Katie, Amy, Jeremy includes many of my favorite moments rolled into one; from a Titanic reenactment to the conquest of the brave Spanish conquistadora.

No comments: