Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Fresh Start

I got down and dirty today, spring cleaning my dust-bunny filled apartment. I thought I had left that immovable filth behind in Lubbock, but turns out China might actually be worse. Anyway, this sweeping away of the old filth made me think of fresh starts, and I wanted to share with you all some of the new approaches we are taking to the same-old, same-old here in Shiyan. You know how we feel about constant improvement…

I came back from Southeast Asia really feeling renewed and vigorous. I had spent 4 days learning about CPM, and read Rivertown, so I was ready to get serious with my students. It makes me crazy to keep falling more in love with them, and then being constantly reminded that they are lost. I feel more and more convinced that we have been too careful in the past, to wary of toeing some imaginary (and I often think exaggerated line). So I decided that with my English majors especially, I was going to do my best to speak truth at all times. Regardless of the circumstances, this is what I believe, and I have the right (and according to His word, the duty) to say it. I am really striving to be more open with my students. I have made a promise to myself that I will bring Him into the conversation each week, in some way. Whether it is with the constant reminder that I am in fact a Chr-st—n, or that couples wed in Ch-rches, or even that r-l-g---s high schoolers may pledge not to have sex before marriage. Anything that gives me a reason I can tell them WHY is a small ray of light. Easter brought a particularly great opportunity for me, because Megan’s mother brought Resurrection Eggs from the states! I thought this was a staple in r-l-g---s households, but I have found out they are not quite so common. Anyway, it’s a carton of plastic Easter eggs that holds inside each egg a symbol of the crucifixion so that as you open each egg in a succession, you reveal the story of the resurrection. So I was able to take that carton of eggs to class and tell the story of J-s-s to my students! AMAZING. I had such a high, and watching some of them smile, gasp, and drop their mouths in awe was indescribable. I wish I could spend every minute I have with them revealing more and more of the mystery. I have had more fruitful, revealing and thought provoking conversations in the past few weeks than I had in months of the fall semester. I also have them keeping journals now so that I can see more clearly who may be open to hearing the truth. I feel a new spirit of boldness thanks to the conviction of the Father and I am anxious to see what He will do next.

I usually love my students, and I always love my coffee…so when an idea formulated around the two, I had to jump on it. In the spirit of continuing openness, I have begun a tri-weekly discussion group with my English majors in my living room that we are calling “Coffee Talk”. After the first month, there are only a few standing strong with me in the arena of “caffination”, the others have reverted to their old “hot water” staple, but we are all really enjoying the time to just be together. We have had some great conversations, and I am thrilled as I discover more and more how amazing some of these kids really are. I also have really wanted to learn more about the city I call home and the people in it, the culture of Shiyan. So I am forcing my students to spend even more time with me, like the evil Miss Jessica I am, and have instigated an out-of-class activity we are calling Seeing Shiyan. (You know how I love my alliterations) My freshman families are taking me out in the city each Saturday. The Hopper’s showed me all the cool places to shop in Wu Yan, the Clarks rented a car and took us out to Moon River Valley for a day of zip lines, boat trips, and nature walks. This week the Bells will be introducing me to a local temple. It’s awesome getting to hear them tell me about China in English, sinisterly awesome!

Our family is undertaking some new approaches as well. We have begun something I stole from Jingzhou called All Day Sundays. It’s been fantastic! We have a meeting in the morning, go out to lunch together, play sports or games in the afternoon, cook dinner together, and then having a singing or study in the evening. It’s a l-o-n-g, eventful and rewarding day each time. Some days we have 5 of us, some days 15. They have been inviting friends to come and spend time with the family, and that has led to some interest. Angelyn and I have also been able to invite some students we know love singing, and they were really intrigued by our family – and natural accapela talents! We are continuing the weekly seeker study, but now I am meeting with the family members before hand, and they are teaching our seekers in an all Chinese study. (This is the ideal situation, though we have had some troubles getting this moving) I think it’s going to be great for them, both the family and seekers. The way that the Word moves when it’s spoken in their own tongue is so far beyond anything we can do, regardless of the passion we may preach with.

Please keep lifting me, the other foreigners, and our family up as we are all in the midst of difficult decisions, and new paths are being made before us. Please also keep my students and our seekers on your heart. We know He can do all things, and his timing is perfect. But it can be hard to see them so close to the truth, and so desperately in need of a salvation we know is right there.

Oh yeah…it only took me 7 months, but I finally woke up one day and realized, “Hey, I actually live here” and perhaps I should begin to take my Chinese studies a little more seriously. After being left in the dust by my language school attendee friends, my pride was in need of a boost as well. So thanks to the God-send that is wode Zhongwen laoshi, Di Cui, I am now studying Hanyu for an hour a day. It’s been fantastic; I am actually learning to WRITE. The language is opening up to me, its excruciatingly difficult, but so rewarding when I take that bus down the street and can recognize 2 characters out of a sign. Glorious Victory!

No comments: